Center for Resilience Publications (selected)
Supply Chain Resilience and Sustainability
T.J Pettit, J. Fiksel and K.L. Croxton, “Ensuring Supply Chain Resilience: Development of a Conceptual Framework,” Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2010, pp. 1-22.
J. Fiksel, “Evaluating Supply Chain Sustainability,” Chemical Engineering Progress, 106 (5), pp. 28-38, May 2010.
- J. Fiksel, D. Lambert, L, Artman, J. Harris, H. Share, “Environmental Excellence: The New Supply Chain Edge,” Supply Chain Management Review, July/August 2004, pp. 50-57.
- J. Fiksel, "Sustainability and Resilience: Toward a Systems Approach" (pdf), Sustainability: Science, Practice, and Policy, Fall 2006.
- J. Fiksel, “Designing Resilient, Sustainable Systems” (pdf), Environmental Science and Technology, December 2003.
Ecologically-Based Life Cycle Assessment
- J. Fiksel, B.R. Bakshi, A. Baral, E. Guerra, B. DeQuervain, “Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Beneficial Applications for Scrap Tires,” Clean Technology and Environmental Policy, Volume 13, Issue 1, p. 19, Feb. 2011.
- J.L. Hau and B.R. Bakshi, “Expanding Exergy Analysis to account for Ecological Products and Services,” Environmental Science & Technology, 38, 13, 3768-3777, 2004.
- N. U. Ukidwe and B. R. Bakshi, “Thermodynamic Accounting of Ecosystem Contribution to Economic Sectors with Application to 1992 US Economy”, Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 18, 4810-4827, 2004
- Yi, H.-S., J. L. Hau, N. U. Ukidwe and B. R. Bakshi, “Hierarchical Thermodynamic Metrics for Evaluating the Sustainability of Industrial Processes", Environmental Progress, special issue on Sustainable Engineering, 23, 4, 302-314, 2004
- Beck, T., Martin, J.F., Quigley, M.F. 2004. Emergy evaluation of food production in urban residential landscapes. Urban Ecosystems.
Systems Approach to Sustainability
J. Fiksel, T. Graedel, A.D. Hecht, D. Rejeski, G.S. Sayler, P.M. Senge, D.L. Swackhamer, T.L. Theis. “EPA at 40: Bringing Environmental Protection into the 21st Century.” Environmental Science and Technology, 43 (23), pp 8716–8720, 2009.
- Hecht A., Fiksel J., Fulton S., Yosie T., Hawkins N., Leuenberger H., Golden J., & Lovejoy T. 2012. Creating the future we want. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy 8(2), 2012.
- A. Hecht and J. Fiksel, “Environment and Security”, The Encyclopedia of Earth, September 2011, http://www.eoearth.org/.
- B. R. Bakshi and N. U. Ukidwe, “Multiscale Bayesian Framework for Environmentally Conscious Process Design”, Proc. Foundations of Computer Aided Process Design, Princeton, NJ, July 2004.
- J. Fiksel, “Designing Resilient, Sustainable Systems”, Environmental Science & Technology, December 2003.
Sustainable Materials Management & Industrial Ecology
- J. Fiksel, "A Framework for Sustainable Materials Management," Journal of Materials, August, 2006.
- E. Cimren, A. Bassi, and J. Fiksel, “T21-Ohio, a System Dynamics Approach to Policy Assessment for Sustainable Development: A Waste to Profit Case Study”, Sustainability, Vol. 2, pp. 2814-2832, 2010.
- E. Cimren, J. Fiksel, M.E. Posner, and K. Sikdar. Material flow optimization in by-product synergy networks. Journal of Industrial Ecology, Volume 15, Issue 2, pp. 315-332, April 2010.
- J. Fiksel and B.R. Bakshi, “Industrial Ecology Network Optimization with Life Cycle Metrics”, Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems & Technology, Washington, DC, May 2010.
- Fiksel, J., “Sustainable Development through Industrial Ecology,” in R.L. Lankey and P.T. Anastas, Ed., Advancing Sustainability through Green Chemistry and Engineering, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, 2002.
Human Factors and Resilient Decision-Making
- E. Hollnagel, J. Pariès, D. Woods, and J. Wreathall, “Resilience Engineering in Practice: A Guidebook,” Ashgate, Aldershot, UK, 2010
- E. Hollnagel, D.D. Woods and N. Leveson, eds. "Resilience Engineering: Concepts and Precepts" (pdf). Ashgate, Aldershot, UK, 2006.
- Woods, D.D. and Dekker, S.W.A. (2000). Anticipating the effects of technological change: A new era of dynamics for human factors. Theoretical issues in Ergonomic Science, 1(3), 272—282.
- Woods, D. D. (2005). Creating Foresight: Lessons for Resilience from Columbia. In M. Farjoun and William Starbuck (eds.), Organization at the Limit: NASA and the Columbia Disaster. Blackwell.
- Patterson, E.S., Cook, R. I. and Woods, D.D. Gaps and Resilience. In M. S. Bogner (ed.) Human Error in Medicine, second edition. Erlbaum, 2006.
- Patterson, E.S., Roth, E.M., and Woods, D.D. (2002). Predicting Vulnerabilities in Computer-Supported Inferential Analysis under Data Overload. Cognition, Technology, and Work, 3(4), 224-237.